Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Research Question?

Does advertising and media have an effect on eating disorders?

I chose to research this question because I find eating disorders to be very complicated so I believe there will be a lot of research available for eating disorders alone, as well as media's effect on it. Also, one of my cousins are currently suffering from an eating disorder, so I think it would be interesting to see if media played a role in the development of that. I would start to look for information by first defining what a eating disorder is, possibly the different types, and the common causes and effects of eating disorders. After I established those main points, I could start researching if media has an influence on eating disorders, if the way actors and models are portrayed give young people bad self-image? I believe that the possible answer to this question might be yes, young people do strive to look like what they see on TV, as it is "ideal." It would be interesting to research this topic for the whole world, because culture might have an effect on it's influence. One possible problem I might encounter would be is the change in body shape over time in media. Have people, perhaps, gained weight in order to look more like their favorite celebrity?
I might not be able to get a one hundred percent yes or no answer, but I feel like I will at least be able to see if media has even the littlest effect on young people and eating disorders.

No comments:

Post a Comment